Mix 1 - Cornfield Meadow Grass 80/20 Seed Mix
Short descriptionCornflowers are an easy to grow, annual flowering plant, making it the perfect choice for beginners or kids to include in their garden.
Availability: In stock
A perfect mix of Cornfield Wildflower and Meadow Grasses!
These attractive wildflowers can help bring your garden to life with a wonderful display of vibrant colours. It's the perfect mix to add to any neglected area of your garden, with the added bonus of attracting bees and other pollinators. They can be sown on their own, or with a perennial mixture.
If you use this mix on its own, it will only flower for a single season, then disappear. If you're after a year on year display, you would need to sow this mixture every year, either during autumn or spring. Once a seed bank has been built up the flowers will return in subsequent years, as long as the soil is disturbed once flowering is complete and the seed has returned to the soil.
Wildflowers are very important in supporting our native insects and animals. Not only do they encourage high biodiversity, they also make a pretty and colourful addition to the garden.
Why Choose Ivisons Mix 1?
Meadow Grasses (80%):
More About the Mixture:
The common poppy is a symbol of remembrance of the millions of soldiers who lost their lives at war. The bright red flowers stand out from the crowd and typically flower from June to September. Poppies are more commonly found in low fertile soils such as roadside verges.
The cornflower population has decreased dramatically over the last 50 years or so, due to the use of herbicides and fertilisers. Cornflowers tend to bloom from June to August and are frequently found on field margins and roadside verges.
Marigold are a stunning yellow/gold flower, that bloom from early May all the way through to October. Although this wildflower is very rare it can still be found on wastelands and other low nutrient areas.
Black Medick is a small, yellow flower. It is a protein-rich fodder that is used as a forage crop for its excellent nutritive and palatability.
Corn Chamomile is a scented annual with a daisy-like flower head, that blooms from May to August. It grows well on most soil types, however, it does require ample sunlight.
How To Sow Cornfield Meadow Grass Seed Mix:
- Choose the area wisely. Cornfield annuals perform better on a site that receives plenty of sunlight.
- Remove all existing vegetation from the area. This can be done by hand, digging it out, or you can use a weed killer.
- Once all the vegetation has been removed, the soil will need digging over to a depth of no more than 10 cm. Any deeper and you're more than likely to bring up more weed seeds to the surface.
- Once dug over, rake the area to create a flat seed bed.
- Sow the seeds at the recommended sowing rate.
- Firm down the area either using a roller or simply trod on the area to improve seed to soil contact.
- If the soil is dry it should be watered, however, it's important to avoid saturating the area.